Monday, November 12, 2007

.

Yet again, another piece of media that completely makes sense, and it isn't produced by the intellectual "elite". GCBC encompasses a TON of ideas in which I feel we need to become more active as a society to protect. I thought it was quite comical how the US Government is yet again enforcing their power in other countries in which they do not belong (Pirate Bay). One tracker Demonoid.com has been battling being taken off the internet for months now. Currently, it is "down" simply because the authorities threatened the company renting servers to them, instead of taking the problem on directly. However, the message at the web site states that they will eventually return...thus proving that piracy will prevail.

As far as sampling goes, everyone is guilty of it in some way. Here is a wiki article about the Amen Break, which is a 6 second drum sample that nearly EVERYONE has stolen some clip from. This is a great example of how piracy is invading into nearly all forms of creativity be it an NWA album or a simple car commercial.

When I create any piece of media or art, I realize that someone may eventually pirate that and use it for their own creative means. As opposed to getting angry and suing them, I would take that as an honor that my media, that I created was good enough for someone to actually take that and turn it into their own. Take that drum beat that I created, or the video that I shot, or even the design for a website and used it for a "cookie cutter" to make their own piece of media.

No comments: