Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Internet

The internet has become such a large part of our lives that people almost take it for granted. I thought about all the ways I use the internet just in my every day life. I just ordered a book online, chatted with friends, checked on classes, did online banking, checked sports, watched the news and of course logged on to FaceBook. It's amazing to see how such an invention can have be so significant in our lives. Looking back, I almost start to wonder, "what the heck did we do without it?". For example, if you were going to some random place on the map, what better way to find out how to get there than mapquest. How else would you know?

Even today, jobs are more geared toward the internet. Employers are looking for employees who are literate in internet usage, posting things on the web and creating web pages. My goodness, we have the internet on our phones. It just amazes me to see how something that started off so small grew to be one of the most important things in our lives. It made the world that much smaller, we're able to connect to the other side of the world with just the click of the button.

Studying the internet, pros and cons will be very beneficial. Although the internet has brought many great things with it, the lack of privacy and safety concerns that come along with it have raised some issues. I think it's safe to say though that this is only the beginning of the "internet age". The internet wasn't introduced into our lives, until I was in middle school. Just imagine how much more the children of today's age will know about technology and grow from it. The future is only bound to bring greater advancements.

No comments: