Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Two Thumbs Up (for the Internet)

Oh my, how the Internet lifts my spirits on gloomy days. I have some difficulty remembering a time in my life in which the Internet did not place an intrinsically vital role in my existence. My family has had a computer since the time I was in 1st grade (read: 1991), and has been online since 1994. I have had an e-mail address since I was ten years old, and discovered Google.com the very first year it came into existence. By 8th grade I did literally 100% of my research for papers and essays using the Internet.

So do I think the Internet is valuable and worth studying? Yes! Do I think that the Internet has eclipsed less modern media (read: books) as the go-to source for up-to-the-nanosecond information? Yes! The Internet truly holds far more value than many people give it credit for. The most guilty party of all on this account are college professors. College professors snidely put their noses in the air and hold the Internet at arm's length, as though somehow their opinions on the matter are of more value than anyone else's.

The Internet is THE absolute king of all things information, and to treat it as though it is not is foolish. Perhaps one day the Internet will be usurped, but until that day comes, I will be the first in line to tout the value of the Internet, especially in the college classroom.

No comments: