Monday, November 10, 2008

The dangerous Internet

I just finish this paper for my consumer behavior class, where one of the topics was subliminal advertising. It is basically the idea about placing messages in commercials that are too weak for the conscious mind to react on. This technique has been used for years and there are no real evidence that it actually works, but people still belive that it works and can make you do things you don't really want like buying stuff you don't need or turn you into a communist.. Obviously people have been scared of this as long as it have been used and that is why I started to think about it in this context because of what Nancy Snow said in the "Al Gore"-text: "Internet videos could prove particularly potent, because they may influence watchers in ways they don't realize." I'm not really sure what she means when she say "in ways they don't realize" but in my mind it sounds like when people say that kids become violent because of playing videogames. I actually thinks that when I watch an youtube video I am more aware and more skeptical than if I watched it on the TV because I know how much you can do today on computers, but it might just be me..

No comments: