Monday, November 3, 2008

eBay virgin

Well as the headline says I'm an "eBay virgin".. I have never brought anything from eBay so I can't say that I have any personal experience with it. It seems like people in the class have different levels of eBay experiences some people like Travis uses it a lot and other have only used it a few times and doesn't really like it. I don't really know what to think about it. In the Lillie article it sounds like the perfect example of web 2.0 based on values like "We believe people are basically good" and "We believe everyone has something to contribute". Especially the last one really shows the spirit of web 2.0, but unfortunaly that's not how the reality is. According to Travis there is a hierarchy on the site although it sounds like it is mainly based on who earns most I think it was also interesting that comment that I think Tim wrote about how people with computer skills always is higher in the hierarchy, because if you have some Photoshop/Illustrator ect skills it is possible so make your pictures look better. I'm not sure if people have profiles in there, but if they have then it would also be possible to make those stand out.. Which means that nobody is really equal in there anyway..
Another topic that was mentioned in the other posts was if eBay was a social networking site. Again I can only compare it to sites that I know like amazone ect and I couldn't image people using these site for anything else than just finding the things that they need, buying them and then never talking to the seller again. Or that's how I use sites like eBay and I sounds like most people have the same experience.

No comments: