Friday, November 28, 2008

File Sharing

File sharing...good or bad? That is the big question posed by the readings and video. In my opinion there isn't really that much wrong with it. I think that by using a file sharing system that I do like Limewire there isn't a great chance to get caught. People that upload thousands upon thousands of songs a month and are all over the place sharing them should get caught. No one should fully depend on a file sharing system to get all of their music. I think that if you really like the artist and you just want to see what is on the CD to see if it is worth buying that it is okay to sample some of the songs. But if you do like the songs you should go out and make the purchase at the store. I also believe that buying the CD isn't really supporting the artist as much as you would think it was. I have heard that only one dollar out of the fourteen or fifteen that you spend on a the CD actually goes to the artist. I would rather support an artist that I like by buying a ticket to see them live in concert. I think that is a much better investment then a CD and a lot more fun then just listening to a CD in your car. Back to file shraing though...I think that it really isn't that big of a deal. I also don't think that when Napster got in big trouble for all the file sharing that that was necessary. I know that artists would like people to buy their CD's but the whole truth behind it is that no one really listens to CD's unless they are in their car usually. I know most people just use the music on their iPod or MP3 player to mainly listen to. This would mean that it is much easier to download a song on the internet and then put it on your iPod instead of going to the store, paying for a CD, uploading it onto your computer, and then finally adding it to your iPod. That takes a lot more work. I think aritists make enough money as it is that they don't need to be worrying about file sharing.

No comments: