Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Politics on the Internet

Since when did the internet become such a great place for future presidents and congressmen to place their ads and run their campaign? I am not sure on the answer to that but I do know that the last election was all over the internet. It was especially previlant on Facebook. Facebook being a very popular and commonly used social netowrking site allowed Obama and McCain to put their faces on peoples' profiles. The readings for this week are a little out of date so I thought I would talk more about the internets effect on the election that was held a week ago. The election that made history. Probably a year ago you were able to put who you were supporting on your Facebook page. I never did this but I do know many people that did. This was just one way of supporting your candidate far before you could even vote for them. Then came the day of the election...a week ago. When I got on Facebook the first thing it asked me was if I voted. Since I had I clicked yes and it added a little tag to my profile. It had a count of how many people had told Facebook that they had voted so far and that number was around 4 million when I was on there. Then there were the gifts that you could send people. These were little "buttons" that said Obama or McCain. You could also get a general "button" that said something about voting in general. I didn't have Facebook during the 2004 election and I don't think I really used the internet that much at all besides to talk to my friends so I really don't know if the virtual politics craze was as popular then as it is now. I know now that many people learned all of their facts about what each candidate thought through the internet.
On to some reading...net neutrality is going to stay. I think that phone companies and and cable companies make enough money as it is that they don't need anymore. I also think that we need net neutrality to keep the internet unbiased. And although I know the internet isn't completly unbiased I hope to keep it like it is. So hoopefully since Obama is president he won't go and try to change anything!

No comments: