Monday, November 3, 2008

eBay Baby!

After reading up on e-commerce I suddenly think about all the times I’ve been called/approached by different people about joining a “group” that in a nut shell you set up a web account and it allows you to search for items in a variety of stores and by only buying on the web you cut out the middle man (distributors) and get a share of the money saved…of course you have to hustle other people into doing it and the more you have buying under you the more of a share you get…anyone else get approached about it?

The eBay reading states, “A crucial component of eBay’s success, both economic and cultural, is its organization of the site as a series of stages allowing sellers to design, perform, and sell memorable experiences, thematically linked to goods, for which purchasers are willing to pay a premium.” Everyone would love to walk into Wal-Mart or a thrift store and be like, “I’m probably one of the four people that would ever buy this so would you mind bargaining the price down?” It’s genius. eBay is ran by the people who set up an account in five minutes and now have stay at home jobs and make a decent profit. My neighbor back in the day took pictures of items all day and posted them on the web for a store much like the 40 Year Old Virgin’s gf’s place of work We Sell Your Stuff on eBay and loved it cause it’s easy ladies and gents.

I’ve only bought one thing off eBay because psychologically I don’t completely trust it. The lack of communication from the seller and buyer and going off a customer feedback doesn’t really sell me because I like to see what I’m buying and waiting for mail is boring. Also there's ways of improving your customer feedback without actually selling items (so I read once in a book.) To me eBay has this you’re either in or out concept and I feel I’m not up to date to buy or sell things on it anymore. It’s a community of individuals who range from being completely legit business owners to scam artists who are all about the Benjamins and I my friends am nether.

EBay users, “communicate their self-identity by announcing their fandom and fan authority through engaging in rituals of possession and divestment.” I’ve noticed eBay now a days is all about showing off and how big of a fan you are to something. I can think of a lot of other ways to show my appreciation for something and I do. I say if you have the time do it, if you don’t you’re life will still go on.

No comments: