Monday, November 3, 2008

EBAY...Meg Whitman is my homegirl!!

The quote,  "community" is a key term in the eBay universe" is a somewhat foreign concept to me. I shop enough in the meat-face world that I know enough about myself not to start shopping in the virtual world, so I can't assert that I am by any means well-versed in the world of eBay. Community makes sense to me on Facebook and MySpace and YouTube, but in an online market-place? Where money is exchanging back and forth? I wonder if most of the friendships are between say, My Little Pony fellow collectors that are competing for bids--or are between buyers and sellers that have established relationships through the transactions of goods?

In the Jarrett article, there is discussion of a concept that we have dialogued frequently about--surveillance. We all have differing viewpoints on whether we feel surveillance is inevitable and does that just mean we should be ok with it. An interesting talking point with eBay is how they have given the power to users. Jarrett says, "Surveillance is represented as good, even desirable, for the community and the individual..." Brilliant. They have made it such a necessary part of making money that they have crossed the line of people having to be ok with it to making it desirable! 
Do you think it would ever come to the day where desirable surveillance would be a part of Facebook and MySpace?(It already exists on YouTube--users flagging videos). Such as if someone is randomly trying to friend people you could click on their profile and flag them and so when they were searched it would say "this person is a perpetual "friender"--you're right--you probably don't know them! Just wondering, because I feel that I have been friended by creepy guys that just see your picture and don't know you--but then I second-guess myself and think that maybe I met them at a coference or something and forgot them...

I also wonder about the eBay as "the great leveler" quote from the Epley article as quoted by Cohen. "all sellers are created equal, all buyers have equal chances to bid, and, most important, old offline hierarchies no longer apply." I do agree to some extent, but I also think the a lot of offline hierarchies still do apply. 

Access to computer, being able to be by the Internet(such as having it on your Iphone) to monitor bids at all times is a luxury that some people just don't have. Access to cameras and video-cameras to upload high-quality presentations of your product, as well as the caliber of products sold all are indicators of hierarchy. Just like the argument that the Internet is available to most individuals, but there is still a link to affluence and access to the Internet. 

Some more interesting eBay info!!

The Future of ebay
http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2006/05/the_future_of_e.html

http://theauctionrebel.com/419/the-future-of-ebay-bright-or-cloudy/

EBay's Meg Whitman Out; John Donahoe Named CEO & Prez

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/01/ebays-meg-whitm.html

No comments: