Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Ear is Supreme

Do we really hear too much? I don't think so. I guess it depends if we're really hearing or listening, because I tend to hear a lot of things, but catch myself not actually listening. In the Covert article, just like any new technology, the radio was fearsome to people. Having to learn a new technology and ditch your old habits. The transcedence came in the late 1920s when people were in more tune to the radio instead of their newspapers and wireless. So in that case, people weren't hearing enough, maybe just tired of reading like I am now! It can also depend on what we're hearing, because everyone has their different tastes. I enjoy radio comedy like a Howard Stern, or hearing pre-game and post-game shows for my sports teams. Others may utilize the radio to hear the news or for music. My personal preference would be to hear, rather to read, which is why I don't think we'll ever hear too much.

No comments: