Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Exploits of The World Wide Web

The most important section that we should be studying about the internet is The World Wide Web; “The Web is just one of the ways that information can be disseminated over the Internet” (Wikipedia). Unfortunately I learned this first-hand from a small experiment directed by Mr. Epley in class. Not having really given much thought into the fact that anybody could easily access information (incriminating and non-incriminating) about me at any given time through The World Wide Web. Here I sat in class next to a complete stranger, who I only gave my first and last name, was able to pull up specific pictures that could be used against me in any job interview or possibly ruin any chances at a political career (why would I was my time on that?). Never-the-less means of The World Wide Web such as search engines Google or Yahoo!, or social networking sites like Facebook and Myspace all hold millions of pages of information that could be accessible to any psychopathic, sexual predator, hacker, or a future employer. The obtained information could easily inflict physical/emotional abuse, cause identity theft or a lost shot at an outstanding job opportunity.

“Millions of people worldwide have easy, instant access to a vast and diverse amount of online information” (Wikipedia).”

No comments: