Monday, August 27, 2007

Radio, slippers, cigar… and that’s the way it is.

Although I always tend to hate these early reads due to their usual place in history… a long time ago… at least these did a better job about keeping my attention than rather just teaching me something. Reading Coverts piece, I always enjoy hearing about how back when these technologies were new, it tended to scare or confuse the general population at first. Similar to when the audience jumped out of the way when the train was heading at them in that one movie… possibly “Train” or something to that effect, reading how that man listen to his ear phones was both a little worried and confused always puts a smile on my face. And now it seems so typical that with radio it started out as some “boy toy” only used by fathers and sons alike while the women had other things to do. Probably teaching their daughters about the dangers of kissing and how reefer can ruin your life. I can’t help but think that in the very beginning of all of this technology people didn’t crack open their radios thinking to find a little human with a surprisingly booming voice working away 24 hours a day. It goes to show however that when my sister was little she wanted to grow up and be Mighty Mouse… because he is real… and I wanted to be a truck.

No comments: