Monday, September 8, 2008

Cultural Studies

The story at the beginning of Sterne's reading is very comparable to myself. I walk to class and try to check my email or text messages whenever I get a chance. Pretty much every time I even get a chance to look at a computer I use it. In my morning class we are in the computer lab and if it weren't for my teacher telling us that we would get points docked if he saw us typing during class I would be on the computer the whole time. I enjoy the ability of being able to use the computer but don't have a strong interest on how everything about the computer works. The next part of Sterne's reading talks about all the issues that cultural studies have. He poses a lot of issues that cultural studies have but lacks on the suggestions to correct it. Sterne points out that the internet will become a commodity and will then be just like all the other technologies that we have in society today. I think that the internet is already a commodity. Almost everyone has access to it in someway and can use it freely. I don't think people think that the internet is nearly as important today as it was ten or fifteen years ago. I believe that the internet has progressed a lot more now and can be used for almost anything someone desires.
The Gillespie article talks about how all the new technology has relied on the past technologies to offer "remediates." This reading also talks about Dreamweaver and how tools like that can be used to manipulate people through the internet. I thought this reading was pretty interesting. The reading pretty much says that the boundaries are limitless when it comes to the internet since anyone can create anything within their cultural boundaries.

No comments: