Sunday, September 21, 2008

Guilty Pleasures

People participate in surveillances of the world in longing for the approval and satisfaction from their peers; Youtube for example. Its a competition. you rate videos edited by other youtubers. Some people may think that this is just a form of professional critisicm, but lets be honest, some of that stuff is just nasty. but not only is it a competition, reality is addicting. i like the quote from the fox network's entertainment director about "real" reality shows, "ratings crack-a cheap addictive short lived high". I agree with Andrejevic when he explains that now its necessarily short lived anymore. Reality shows are everywhere. These reality shows are also a competition. Take the worn out actors of today's society. For example, Scott Baeo. He starred in his own reality show about him being at the age of 40 and unmarried. this was totally a career move to get him back in the eyes of producers and directors. His agent probably convinced him that the show would boost his ratings as an actor, and a great move for his career, when actually, it made me hate him as a person. It proved to me that he is a talentless asshole. As sucky as a person that I feel he is... I watched the show!! The producers were brilliant in this matter!
The no namers with a crap ton of money contact MTV to do a series show about their "real lives", a day in the life of a Laguna Beach resident. Lame plot, but i will admit, addictive. For some pathetic reason I find myself being mesmerized by the lives of the hills stars! (sorry Ryleah) Creators of reality TV=brilliant. Taking the "real"lives of every day people, exploiting their money or addictions to drugs for that matter (MTV True Life), or washed out Hollywood stars and making it ADDICTIVE, genius. We all compare ourselves to everyone else, whether we will admit it or not, I think thats why reality shows bring in so many viewers and these shows are EVERYWHERE. "My life may suck, but at least I didnt get publicly hummilated on national TV when Flava Flav of all men in this world, decided not to give me a clock so I could remain on his show to hopefully someday be the provider of his 30 kids with all different baby mamas!" ...could always be worse...

No comments: