Sunday, September 21, 2008

Surveillance

The video we watched for this week made a good point about all the kinds of surveillance systems that are in place. It makes you wonder how much good actually comes out of all this, and I would be willing to bet that the answer would be “not much”. The whole idea of my information being stored on a computer somewhere and someone being able to pull up that information whenever does not sit well with me. Do we really need someone recording all of my movements? All of this closed circuit television system talk just gives off a 1984 vibe. There is a lot of surveillance going on, but it really just seems so unnecessary. The CCTV systems are supposed to be there to deter people from committing crimes, but I’m sure that if the would-be criminal really wants to go through with the act, I’m sure that a couple cameras aren’t going to stop them. They will either just go through with it anyway, or wait for an opportunity to commit the crime when they will be able to without being seen. I’m sure that the money and time being put toward all of the surveillance could be put to better use, maybe in training for police, or getting more officers out on the street. I’m sure the cop car driving by would be a much better deterrent than a couple of cameras.

No comments: