Monday, September 22, 2008

Surveillance

The Harvard interactive case study really opened my eyes to all the online things that people have access to. I realize that this was discussed in the first class period when Epley did a little slide show of all the people he could find infor about on the internet. But now I realize one little things that isn't my facebook or myspace account that could get me into trouble in a few months when I start looking for a job. That is the petition I signed for People of Faith for Stem Cell Research. Now I am starting to just wonder if something like this really will affect my chance of being able to get a job. Obviously this shows that I am bias in some way and that I took a stand on that bias. Can news reporters be allowed to take a stand on an issue whether they believe it should be okay or not? That is something I will have to find out about I suppose. I do know that if you work for the government you aren't allowed to go to any rallys or parties supporting a certain presidential candidate. I have a friend who works for the court system in New Hampshire and she is a huge Obama fan but can't show her support since her paycheck comes from the State of New Hampshire. The other thing that just drives me nuts about this is that anyone can be googled and it is almost impossible to not find at least one thing about everyone. It's like technology is taking over the trust we should have for people unless they betray us and give us a reason not to trust them. I know I have looked up plenty of people on iowa courts dot com because they seem nice but there is something that isn't quite right about them. The internet is giving everyone a chance to find out "dirt" about anyone they want to. The video from youtube gave a good showing of all the different types of surveillance that the government can and does do. It is quite mind blowing that the government can tap into your phone lines if they suspect you of dirty business or using biometric passports to fin terrorists. One form of surveillance that I do agree with is closed circut surveillance systems in stores and parking lots. I think that these are a good for the public not bad. How many crimes have been solved with the help of a parking lot surveillance system? I would say its a pretty good number because without them they would never know what kind of car drove away with a kidnapped girl in it. Or what color and type of car hit a woman and killed her in the early morning hours. Saying that all types of surveillance is no good isn't a fair statement since some surveillance is necessary to be safe in the public with all the crazy people out there today. Televison shows that have surveillance systems 24 hours a day so people can always see whats going on, such as Big Brother kind of creep me out. I mean who wants someone watching them all the time?! Obviously the people that sign up for that show really don't care or want attention like that. I personally think it's totally unnecessary some of the surveillance that goes on and also the google obsessed nation that we have become. Come on now can't we just trust someone like we used to?

No comments: