Monday, September 8, 2008

I think that most girls in their first year of college can relate to the part in Sternes article when he talks about the girl racing around campus to check her email and to chat with her friends... all relying on the use of the university's computer systems. I know I did. I think its crazy how our social and educational life is so depicted from the availability of the Internet and the computers. This really made me examine my life. How much I am online, what I am doing, if its worthy of my time, especially when I am online "creeping" on people on facebook, which I can really be doing something better with me time. These things all came to my mind from reading this article. Then when cultural studies is trying to be defined again, this just brought back painful memories from my lit class, when we spent many a class times defining cultural studies and I became more and more confused each day. I still dont have an entire grasping on the definition from this article, I basically learned that the environment plays a roll in on the display and meaning of cultural studies. He talks about the chapter which is entitled, "Cultural Studies Does the Internet" and explains that now a days, culturals studies is basically the Internet and how its role has consumed our lives. I like this part because it doesnt go into the method, but its real meaning and relation to things that I can relate to. That to me is what is the most common form of media studies today, the Internet.

No comments: