Sunday, September 28, 2008

Identity

I think these articles were written by people that like being who they are. Granted I like being who I am but not everyone does. Maybe an “identity tourist” still believes that the internet is euphoria because they can be who they want to be and not who they are. Why do we continue to judge the people that pretend to be someone else? The people that dream of being a samurai and can actually BE a samurai in Second Life of LambdaMOO probably think of the intercyberweb as being heaven on earth. Maybe, like the postmodernists, I don’t want to have a continuous “self” and maybe I want to be a million different people with no relation to each other. I could be John McCain. If I wanted to be that is. My point is that I don’t always see the harm in wanting to be someone else, maybe the fat kid makes friends without being judged on his size or maybe some days I feel like being a Spanish guitar player. These articles seem judgmental so I guess I am asking who are we to judge?

No comments: