Monday, September 29, 2008

identity or identities

Apparently I am a little behind the times or something when it comes to this whole 2nd life stuff. In the first article the lady basically has 3 different online lives, not to mention her actual life. She says each is who she “really is, or really wants to be.” Huh? By my count that’s 4 lives, and I don’t know how it would take four lives to be yourself. I mean it only takes most people one. Now I’m not very familiar with Dungeons and Dragons, but I have played other games where you have “missions” and are someone else I guess you would say, and been quite addicted for a period of time, but I have never thought of myself as actually that person, or anything like that, so to that’s just different.

Also in this LambdaMOO where its fine to be one of four genders, but not to describe yourself by your race is just bizarre. I mean I could care less if someone told me they were white, black, brown, or blue. If they described themselves as a human pickle, I would think they were a douche bag though. Clearly race is an issue, and as much as I hate the topic, its there. Just by having an option of telling your race on a survey or a test or whatever proves it. I mean if race doesn’t matter why should it be there.

No comments: