Monday, September 8, 2008

Double T's (thinking and tools) My Favorites!

The Sterne reading started off with a story that basically describes what I do on a fairly related basis. I don’t own my own computer (that works) and I rely on UNI to help me out. I don’t know a lot about computers and all the technical aspects that go along with the “inside” of a computer, much like my car, I can perform the little tasks that get me from point A to point B. Much like vehicles, computers haven’t tricked my trigger to want and find out all I can about them, I’ll leave those interests to the motorheads and techies.

Sterne then goes on a rant about how cultural studies need to find a more proper name and then throws in good ol political views into the mix to almost sound more scholarly. The part I liked about his cultural study rant was the idea that people take in media from all types of different forms, and after thinking about it for awhile it’s true that something I read on the internet might not impact me as much as seeing it on TV or hearing it on the radio. All day we are fed information in many shapes and forms and I’m not gonna lie, half of what we hear/read doesn’t really sink in til we see. So in my opinion TV is the most environmentally impacting form of media but I’ve seen some pretty weird things on the internet…believe me.

The Gillespie reading I found interesting because comparing the internet to a hammer and then prison is AWESOME!!! No one person really knows the full advantages the internet can provide and everyone using the internet is a basically a tester who learns something everyday. We are limited by tools given to us when creating a web page with Dreamweaver, but some good with HTML codes could more or less go above and beyond my stick with the manual, you can do this attitude. The statement he makes towards the end, “…we never slip back in treating technologies as neutral objects,” sums up the reading quite well to the fact when a system/technology allows cultural aspects to play a role the boundaries are quite endless.

No comments: