Monday, October 27, 2008

First of All i'm No Griever...

First things first, when I’m convicted of trolling in class on my WWE Universe account, I do it all out of good fun and go along the guidelines of every WWE fan where you have your favorite and least favorite wrestlers and you state why you feel that way. The WWE was built off conflicts and that’s why it will be celebrating its 800th episode (the most episodes of any show) in a few weeks. I’m not the only one who watches it…

The Wikipedia reading about internet memes allowed for me to put a name with a face. All the videos I send friends and family that I find are funny are considered internet memes. Any parody videos posted on Youtube that gets a “cult” following or reference back to a form of popular culture are consider memes. Something intriguing about this reading had to be the use of the words vanity sites. These are your Myspace, Facebook pages that include personal information and are mainly used for entertainment and communication. Like I said before the reading basically broadened my vocabulary skills for whenever I run into a web critic down the line.

The other reading that hit home was the one about griefing. As a multiplayer gamer at one point in my life, I’ve experienced griefers who either lag (slow) up a game, kill their own teammates, and break any other rules in the game. People’s moods change so quickly these days and some find it acceptable/therapeutic to go online and lash out. There are options in every game where players can boot an individual or report them so their griefing rein will end, but people can always make new accounts. People have to realize that not everyone is happy in the world and even though Second life or WWE Universe may be your home away from home get away place, it’s a playground for someone else who’s going to test your limits. If a person goes to far you can get jail time I guess after reading this article of a couple divorcing in Second life and one hacked the other’s account and may serve 5 years in prison…

http://www.itexaminer.com/divorced-woman-kills-husbands-avatar.aspx

The best part of the reading is where it states, “The key point here is that everyone has the same goal – have fun. Unfortunately, for one group – the griefers – achieving their goal precludes other users from reaching theirs.” Everyone has different ways of having fun and in my mind if you can’t take the heat get out the kitchen. You read about people killing themselves because someone bullied them online and all this stuff; there is a point were enough is enough and people have to realize there is a log off/off switch option available if someone is really bothering you that bad…be the bigger person.

From my online gaming experiences I’ve learned that if you don’t like someone who’s online gaming with you and they’re giving you a hard time, go head to head (1v1) against them and if you win talk trash, if you lose log off the game so you don’t have to hear them talk trash…easy concept I know, but you wouldn’t believe how many people take it to the next level.

PS when you end Facebook official status be prepared for the consequences…

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/7676285.stm

No comments: