Monday, October 20, 2008

Wiki wiki wiki

I know that it's not an excuse, but I have been talking a lot about Wikipedia in my Human and Computer class so I'm a bit tired of the subject.. But I agree with some of the things that Ryleah mentioned like "It's the place to start your search when you want to find out about something new". But still I would never use it as a primary source for a paper. In the hum com class we had to contribute to Wiki either by creating a new page or by bringing something to an existing page. I choose to write something about the town that I was born in and actually corrected something on the page that was incorrect which I think is one of the good things about Wiki, but if nobody does that, then it doesn't matter. I think that until Wiki hire more people to check the things that people write there Wiki is still to unsafe to rely a 100 % on, but it's still a good place to find quick answars. Like the other day, when my roommate and I needed to know what first, second and third base included, we just looked it up on wiki.. And got a good description.. ;o)
Anyway I kind of like the idea behind Wiki, which means that everybody can contribute to a subject without having to be a journalist or an author although it means that trolls also find their way to it.. But as long as you check the informations you get on Wiki with other more relyable sources you don't have to worry about using it..

No comments: