Monday, October 27, 2008

Meme, Internet Meme

Meme in the virutal world to me is the advertising on facebook or your emails. Its a way of getting the message to the mass audience. Its the youtube videos that Justin Biggs tells us all to watch, because he says "Hey, you'll like this". Thus affecting the "audience of Com Tech". The very small gesture turned could easily turn into mass media. We watch the youtube video recommened in class, we than tell all our friends to watch it on their computers. These recommended gestures are what helps make a certain medium the dominant ideology. I would consider TV to be the dominant ideology because tons and tons of ideas,theories, gestures, etc... are passed all around the world popping up in the living rooms of any viewer. This is a great way that memes are expressed.
I am guilty of BWN. At times I feel useless at my job because it is so INCREDIBLY boring, that I dink around on the internet to pass time. This is when I find myself watching the recommened youtube videos; I am then contributing to "contagious media". I feel that if youre not participating in the harmless form of contagious media, you are then greifing. This is the first time Ive heard of griefing. I feel its a waste of time, but is BWN a waste of time too? Am I falling victin to griefing because I am dinking around on the interent at work, not doing producting things, making myself feel useless?

No comments: