Monday, October 27, 2008

Memes and Trolls

Memes and trolls. At first I wasn't really sure exactly what a meme was. The readings explained it to me and now I think I understand it, and it really isn't as complex as I thought. The meme reading from wikipedia explained a meme as an idea or behavior that is passed on from one person to another. A meme in real life is just like the popular kid at school that tries to make a new word cool...like on the movie Mean Girls and the one girl tries to get everyone to use the word fetch instead of cool. Internet memes on the other hand don't seem to be as harmless. The reading about the thirteen year old girl that killed herself because an old friends mom acted like a young boy online and then rejected her, now that is just sick and wrong. I know that some trolling can be harmless like when Justin makes fun of people on the WWE forum. I think those people are pretty thick skinned and can probably handle someone making fun of a wrestler. But a thirteen year old that already has enough drama in her life because she is thirteen and I think everyone that is thirteen has their ups and downs, she probably doesn't have nearly as thick of skin.
I agree with one of the readings that says that the goal is for everyone to have fun. I think that it is totally possible to have fun trolling the internet. But some people just have to know when they have gone to far. Also who gets to make the decision of what makes a good meme and what falls short? I know that youtube is a big place to share and get a meme started but really what makes people find that one amazing video and email it to all of their friends? I guess those people who have lots of time on their hands and enjoy spending it on youtube are the main meme starters...

No comments: