Monday, October 6, 2008

From a goodie two shoes(AKA a Facebook user!)

First, I will address the Boyd article about class divisions and Facebook/MySpace. I admire Boyd for unveiling this issue and it is an interesting one to contemplate. She says that Facebook has been framed as the cool things for college kids to do and that those teens that exclusively use Facebook have a negative opinion about MySpace.

Personally, I am an exclusive Facebook user, but I actually have no negative opinion about MySpace--actually I wish I could be as creative as MySpace users. Facebook to me is simple and I just have to add in my information. MySpace to me seems like too much work. I have been on the site once and it is intimidating to me because it feels like you have to be "artsy" to make a profile. Does anyone else feel the same way?

2)I was somewhat shocked to hear that Facebook users know of MySpace, yet Myspace users have not heard of Facebook--are they living under a rock? I would say many older adults, even grandparents know what Facebook is even if they've never been on it. That assertion I don't believe!!

3) Response to: When Information becomes TMI. I felt I should comment on this because I was in the minority in my feelings about the NewsFeed when it came out--I thought it would be cool! I would not write anything on Facebook that I didn't care if anyone saw anyway.

St. John says, "...users' comfort with revealing intimate details about themselves comes in part from a perception that in the din of life online, there is a kind of privacy through anonymity."

Facebook is not anonymous--so why wouldn't someone know that if you write something that little picture with your name is going to be posted right next to it?! One of the women quoted said that, "Translucent is good--not transparent." But by its nature anything you say on Facebook is transparent--at anytime anyone that you have friended can click on your profile catch up on all your goings-on--good or bad. In sum, I think it quite foolish of users to think that they really have any privacy--if you don't want it read--don't post it. Besides, how many times have you posted on a friend of a friend in hopes that they guy you have a crush on will read it and know where you're going to be this friday night in hopes that he will stop by?!

4)Question to pose--in the Why Youth Heart MySpace they say that Myspace has more pageviews per day than any site on the web--more than Google--why do you think that is? Is it because of all the band/famous peoples' pages that people click on to view the latest info even if they aren't a user themselves? I have never done this, so I don't feel that I have a great perception--I was just wondering.

5)I would also like to address how, "the dynamics of identity production play out visibly on MySpace." I know we touched on this a bit in class--but is it really true? I have never heard of anyone of Facebook putting their most attractive friends as their Top friends.

Boyd also addresses the issue of friending. She says it is important to be connected to friends, as well as friends and idols--even if you don't really know them. But can it ever be too much? I might look at someone that has 1,000 friends and think to myself that wow, they must be really connected, but if they have 3,000 it might actually be a negative interpretation because they must just friend everyone and it can't really mean much. Thoughts?

Some related articles:)

Facebook vs. MySpace: The battle for global social network dominance
http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/04/16/facebook-vs-myspace-battle-global-social-network-dominance

The Future of Facebook
http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1644040,00.html

Why Facebook Is the Future.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1655722,00.html

This is FUNNY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TajGfGXwsnw&feature=related

Tom Anderson -- Founder of Myspace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yWpnto-hqQ&feature=related

No comments: