Friday, October 3, 2008

POD Was Right...We Are The Youth Of The Nation

First of all there are so many readings for this blog and I’m confused on which one/ones to blog about. The first one I read about the things you would tell your mother stated the obvious about online networking. "Anything you put on the internet has the potential to be made public and you should treat it as such," says Jones. I agree, they have privacy setting for a reason and people (who are mature enough) should use them and think about their future. “A survey by the US National Association of Colleges and Employers published in July found that 27 per cent of employers have Googled their job candidates or checked their profiles on social networking sites.” This percent will increase for the years to come and since the class where we Googled our neighbors I’ve deleted my Myspace, my Facebook has always been private and only viewable by friends, but the only thing I have to rid of is my personal website I create for Joyce in Multimedia…which I think I have to go to ITS and close it. People not using online networking privacies leads to scandals, rumors, and potential non-employment, plus I see a lot of political candidates (my age) becoming highly regretful towards there online networking pasts.

The second reading about Myspace spoke about the Advanced Research Development Activity role is to spend NSA money on research that can "solve some of the most critical problems facing the US intelligence community". Chief among ARDA's aims is to make sense of the massive amounts of data the NSA collects - some of its sources grow by around 4 million gigabytes a month. Glad I ridded myself of that network and my big question for this article does this mean that E-Media majors will have more jobs…or do we need some law enforcement degree? Being an employee of the ARDA (now the DTO) was not something I was informed by my guidance counselor and I think tracking people’s information on the web would be entertaining as well as the pay can’t be that bad. Plus don’t I technically already do monitor people’s Facebook pages by looking at my New Feed…shouldn’t I then be entitled get paid at the same time…there is a report option incase I see something I don’t like.

The late on readings discuss why people online network and one even compare Columbine…Epley throughout the question, Have you ever had trouble talking to people?” And the answer is not really if you want to talk to someone do it, people are people just like you and life is way to short to not talk. One reading says the, “youth will continue to work out identity issues, hang out and create spaces that are their own, regardless of what technologies are available.” And this is true, but people (especially the youth) should be informed of others online who use online networking sites for “non-good/productive things.” My question is, “When are you going to have the chat with your kids about online networking Epley, and at what age?” I don’t plan on having kids for a long time to come and yours vastly approaches…”Do you play second life with them?” Or “Do you stand over their shoulder to their limited 30 minute computer time?”

No comments: