Monday, October 6, 2008

SNS's and stuff

When I read about the SNS’s and the concerns about young peoples safety, I thought that it was pretty legit. But after I saw the numbers from the studies, I was a bit surprised. There were far fewer cases than I would have expected, while maybe percentages seem small, the actual numbers might change my mind though. Now,I personally am only familiar with Facebook and MySpace, and based on what I see this would probably be more of a problem of MySpace than Facebook due to mainly the layout, and also being able to see everyone, which is why I am not a fan of MySpace.

The generation gap was intriguing. I don’t think that it is near as big as they make it sound. I mean my mom has facebook, and I know several other people who’s parents have facebook as well. I don’t look at it as a generation gap as much as a technological gap. Now this is only based on my experiences and some of the “generation ahead of me” that I talk to. To me it seems that people who are “technologically savvy” have it and those who struggle in that area don’t.

Do people share too much information? I can see it both ways. I mean my first reaction is yes, and the first day of class is a good example. However most of this information that is put on SNS’s are probably out there anywhere, and also in my opinion if someone thinks it too much they won’t put it out there. It kind of depends on your perspective I would say.

No comments: