Monday, October 27, 2008

Meme

I was trying to decide what makes a meme. How is a good one started? What the common link is? All I can come up with is that I don’t ever remember seeing an ad for any of my favorite web sites. How did I know I would love youtube or facebook or google? Probably because someone told me “hey you will really like this” so I checked it out. I think that marketing has a lot to do with it. The fact that I never saw a tv ad for Facebook makes it less like “the man”. It makes me think it’s made by people like me which increases its appeal. Now those websites are getting more commercial, which is ok because I guess it has sort of grass roots. I also really liked the Weezer video. Weezer is just like us. Wasting their time on the internet, Youtubing. It says something about the future of media as well. Intertextuality to the extreme. On Youtube you can watch a Weezer video full or youtube videos. These internet memes are invading the rest of our everyday lives which is probably a good thing. Not just for pop culture but also for politics and things like the Nike e-mail. It is possible for these things to have lasting effects on the rest of the world, maybe make a difference.

No comments: