Sunday, October 12, 2008

"Living" On The Internet

If we die, will we always be living on the internet? Once something is on the internet, there is no taking it off. Does this thought help screen the information we submit or upload about ourselves or our friends? You would think so, but so many forms and levels of our identity are posted daily and they are not always in the most respective manners. But this can also be argued. Thanks to the internet, we have Youtube, where an average joe can upload his "art" where millions of viewers and watch and critique his work. The way the internet is utilized all depends on the person and their intentions, obviously. As far as teenagers or kids even as young as 10, 11, years old abusing the internet, I feel this situation depends on parental supervision. Internet usage in moderation at a child's young age I'm all for. Introduce the positive aspects and untilizations rather than completely depriving them from it, otherwise years down the child will be on overload with all the capabilities and usages of "THE INTERNET". Their perception of the Internet shouldn't be altered because of a terribly over protective parent, but the parent needs to be aware and strict with their children while they are online. This makes me think of the youtube video about the little boy and his myspace account, none of us want our children ending up like him. But this leads me into the SNS article. Socializing on the Interent offers kids the ability to communicate with their friends in the comfort of their homes as opposed to running a muck in the streets at 11:00 on a school night.
But while signing on to these SNS's, we must remember that our identity online can be shaped through our search engines, blogs, profiles, etc... I utilize the internet for school purposes and the occasional "stalkering" on facebook... I feel the image I have portrayed online about myself is positive and tasteful, and ten years from now, I dont think I would be ashamed if my children randomly googled my name.
Would you be ok with your children googling your name? Something to think about!!

No comments: