Thursday, October 23, 2008

Wiki-Wiki Wah!

I love Wikipedia, I use it daily. As a matter of fact I used it just last night when I was studying for my Human Relations class, the vocabulary is pretty tough. This is the main reason why I utilize Wikipedia, to look up definitions of ridiculous words that I am expected to know. I love it, it's free, it’s easy, and anyone can use it. What I also like about Wikipedia is that anyone can contribute; you do not have to have a corner office with all your certificates of qualification hanging on the wall. Because anyone can post, it gives diversity. It’s the world's encyclopedia. Its user created and edited which I find to be an extremely important attraction to the cite. But what I disagree with is how people automatically imply it's not credible. There is room for unprofessionalism, but if so, like proven in class, any false information corrected with in a specific amount of time. (By the way, I did check the pentagon definition, and it no longer says that it has sixteen sides.) But teachers, especially those I interacted with in high school, strongly opposed to the idea of Wikipedia as a credible source for a research paper. But even though it could not be cited, that didn't mean that students such as myself, weren't scrolling through trying to find what the hell the teachers want us to learn about from the assigned topics, or what they were even talking about. (I get confused easily) Wikipedia is the first website I log into. Am I being informed of the whole truth about these topics? Um, well I feel that I am at least getting a good grasp and understanding. Authority seems to be opposed to the use of Wikipedia because they feel it’s not credible, why not do something about it then. If they have reason to believe that a topic on Wikipedia is misinforming people, then, they should edit the lies about it. Are the teacher’s views about the misinformation about Wikipedia due to hear say, or have they really come across students situations where a student was falsely informed of a specific topic? I’d like to know. I never argued why my teachers in high school wouldn’t let us use Wikipedia, I guess it was hegemony, I just didn't ask questions. Maybe I should call up my high school English teacher and ask her what her background and reasoning’s for being against Wikipedia stemmed from. “Should we block sites such like Wikipedia because students may be exposed to the misinformation, or should we encourage sites such as Wikipedia as on outlet for students to investigate and determine the truth of the information”? (http://ask.slashdot.org/article)

No comments: