Saturday, October 4, 2008

Those darn kids

I like reading an article about SNS because the only thought that goes through my head is ‘duh’. Social Networks: A Definition, a History and Scholarship feels like one of those books parents might read full of “hip lingo” they can use on their kids. It’s whickity-wack. Being told that Facebook connects people to potential or established friends is a little redundant considering that anyone under the age of 25 has one or at least knows a million other people that have one. Next will you explain the advantages of the telephone to me please? It’s like being watched in a zoo or something. Old people all around wondering what you are doing and how to communicate with you. I do see the parallel that having profiles or “SNS’s” if you will, is like constantly being watched too but I think like rock and roll being watched is something we are ready to deal with. Maybe the New York stripper won’t mind in ten years that her naked pictures are on the internet. Do strippers in Meatspace worry about all of the people that saw them naked? I guess I don’t know the answer to that. I also think that when we look at these situations we only look at the extremes. Are most people putting up naked pictures? Probably not. If most people are at all like me most of their online info sharing revolves around “I really like Jack Johnson” and “Taylor Scott is…. At the grocery store.” I think if most old people saw what I do on the internet they would be unimpressed, and unappauled. Excuse me while I listen to my rock and roll and blog.

No comments: