Saturday, October 13, 2007

Another double edged sword

I think most people are aware of some of the smaller facets of viral marketing. Is there anyone with an e-mail account who hasn't received one of those messages that contains 3-4 pages of forwarding addresses? It wasn't until I started reading about Firefly and The Browncoats that I was exposed to the ideas behind viral marketing. To be honest the concept excites me. If so many people can get organized with a message surrounding a tv show, just imagine what social changes people could bring about using this technique. I think it goes far beyond the Nike cultural jamming spawned by Peretti. It seems possible to me that viral marketing could be used as an effective lobbying tool to bring about massive social change. I know that I'm speaking in very vague terms. But it seems to me that the potentials for viral marketing are vague in an d of themselves. I'd like to see where this can go.

No comments: