Monday, October 8, 2007

Wiki is my friend

I know that one should not try to win an argument with, "but it says so on Wikipedia!" but it seems to happen a lot these days. Of course any website with user-related content will not be 100% reliable, or even in some cases, close to fact at all. I have to give credit to the design and user interface of the site. Just imagine reading out of a huge encyclopedia, and when you come across a word you do not know, you have to get out the heavy dictionary to look that word up, maybe even having to look up a word in that entry. It has been done. Isn't technology supposed to simplify our lives? Quit complaining! Wikipedia cuts out the middleman, and just about every word in an entry has a link to another entry, and so on and so on. It's very helpful and possibly addictive, spending hours starting at point A and ending up somewhere completely unrelated to B and/or C. I believe the design of Wiki has made it such an online juggernaut, but I say kudos, because I don't even own a dictionary (Wiktionary is great as well.)

No comments: