Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I do what teh interwbs tell me 2 do.

I think the idea of viral marketing is fantastic. Think about it: people get very bored very easily. There are a number of boredom relieving websites out there. Viral marketing and memes can easily consume time while entertaining people. I sat through about 5 of the 23 minute-long "Mario Hell" video just to see if the person made it... They didn't! If I sat through 5 minutes of it, think of how many people actually watch it in it's entirety.

Not only do these sites relieve you from the stresses of everyday life, but they can also advertise and facilitate social interaction. Take the Supershadow site for example. This "All knowing one" claims to be the ultimate SW fan. He created a website. People started listening to him. People started hating him. Some of those people went to create fan sites against Supershadow. It seems almost as if it were like a... hmmm, virus?

I also watched the video of JerryC playing Canon Rock. This is his original version of the song. I had heard of this video before and looked up the tab. Because of this video, Canon Rock is ranked in the top 10 on Ultimate-Guitar.com. This is just an example of how a meme can influence other aspects of web which influence aspects of everyday life.

No comments: