Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Slope.....It is ever so slippery.

They must find it difficult....Those who have taken authority as truth rather than truth as the authority.
- Gerald Massey, 19th Century English Poet


I believe it was the Oracle in The Matrix that echoed the popular sentiment that all men with power desire more power. At the very least, they desire to keep the power they do have. Call me cynical but as I read critiques of Wikipedia (which still isn't recognized by spell check dammit) and the supposed "Cult of the Amateur" I couldn't help but think we're all being bombarded with some sort of polemic scare tactic that most authoritarian institutions use when they feel they are in danger.

It's hard to argue with the fact that expertise is valuable. I would rather get a medical checkup from my doctor than from some blogging Grey's Anatomy fan. (Won't make that mistake again :(


It seems as though these "legitimizing institutions" (yes that means you Brittanica) want us to stop thinking when they talk about a decline in their authority. I have yet to see anything that convinces me that a site like Wikipedia, or the blogosphere in general is going to somehow water down the intelligence of the people. I suppose if you're more inclined to trust a random post on the internet over your own concrete research it would be your own fault.

It all boils down to thinking for yourself. If you have a question find an answer. It make take some work, but it's out there. Don't let foolish scare tactics endanger a beneficial element of freedom: informational democracy.

No comments: