Monday, October 29, 2007

The Berlinternet Wall

“Technologically determined effects derive from a broad set of assumptions in which what is technological is a configuration of materials that effect other materials and the relation between the technology and human beings is external, that is, where human beings are understood to manipulate the materials for ends that they impose upon the technology from a reconstituted position of subjectivity.”

I read this line a few times and it dawned on me that I am of not only of sub-theorist intelligence, I am probably working on primate level. As I eat a bowl of applesauce that is resting on the article that I read this from I think about my complete and utter inability to care about that which does not directly affect me. Net neutrality of course does. I worry about this at times. Global climate change? Yes, for sure. What have I myself done to improve the weight of my opinion on either? Next to or right on top of nothing. These ideas are pushed most effectively in my direction by content I have found or been introduced to while interneting. Like Germany the internet is something to alter the way people think as well as drive metal spikes into pieces of wood. Like college as well it has given me much to think about and much to hope for in my future. I’m not a revolutionary, there as well is no real need for a revolution. Practical and even thinking can keep a tool/sphere what it is, without tyrants being able destroy it’s “driving” ability to both keep things simple and push complex thoughts into simple minds.

No comments: