Monday, October 1, 2007

Your place or Myspace?

I wish that line actually worked on girls. But I have seen it used online, particularly to attract people to their myspace profile pages. We are in an age of online social networking and identity. According to Boyd, Myspace heavily dominates the competition, receiving more hits daily than MSN AND Google. One of the problems that arises is, how are we using the internet and world wide web for social networking? Do the disadvantages of false identity, sexual solicitation, poor use of grammar outweigh the advantages of making new contacts, chatting, and keeping in touch with old friends or family? It's easy to agree with the disadvantages because of shows like "To Catch a Predator" on MSNBC. Again Boyd talks about "Moral Panic" where young teenagers are exposed to "bullying and potential predators." Personally, I love the advantages of social networking where I can keep in touch with old friends from High School, and instant messaging so I can instantly talk shit to my brother when I just beat him in fantasy football.

No comments: