Monday, October 22, 2007

Read Me


"So I'm sitting here eating Reduced Fat Nilla® Wafers (they contain four less grams of fat than the normal ones) and drinking AE® 2% Chocolate Milk from a half-gallon carton. I'm looking at my unruled Oxford® index card with notes from the readings, but all I'm thinking about is how these Nilla® Wafers are delicious. My card says something about data mining, price customization, behavioral targeting, and customer relationship management. I'm thinking it has something to do with online advertising... just a hunch. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with all the advertisements I've been getting for Bacon Strips Adhesive Bandages...."

I do believe data mining and the like are the future of online advertising, but it raises the question of privacy. It's interesting how on eBay® the knowledge of your activities can be a good thing, yet elsewhere on the web, companies data mining can be seen by customers as creepy. I certainly see it that way. Following my every move on the web for price customization gives me the heebie jeebies. But I suppose if it weren't for dynamic pricing, I'd have paid twice as much for my Second Life® boob job.


Love,
Dexter

No comments: