Monday, October 1, 2007

Unsocial netowrks??


Yes, there is such a thing… but really, not knowing who you are with is just the same as a social network with false identities, what I'm trying to say is that there's no way around it, if you're interacting with someone online, you're being social. It seems to me that throughout this week’s readings, many people have begun to question the validity of social networking. In every group or organization I am a part of, I have had multiple lectures regarding the information I post on social networks such as facebook and myspace. Talk about slippery slope… these lectures tell me that depending on the information I put online, someone will eventually not hire me, fire me or abduct me.

The reading that stuck out the most to me was Amanda Gefter’s. The reason this article interested me is that it seems perfectly harmless, simply stating what blogs and social networks are, but to an older generation, this information could be very scary. This article reminded me of my dad, he hates the internet and is scared to death about the possibilities it could bring. Just like she said, “The boundaries between private and public and between offline and online are blurring… there’s a widening generation gap between adolescents growing up with social technology and adults who find it foreign and unsettling.” It is hard to see the point of view of old people, but as many people have already stated, knowing how to protect yourself is key. I think Gefter's concept of collectivism is very important and has an effect on many spheres of life.

No comments: