Monday, October 1, 2007

Wow you have 3000 friends on facebook

Are social networking websites good or bad? This is the question that I had in my head as I was reading the text. It wasn’t a question that arose from the reading but one that I wanted answered while reading it. It all depends on how you use them. I personally use mine to keep up with friends and make fun of them. I know other people who use facebook in particular to check out girls before they meet them. I find this slightly creepy. But even some others us it as an escape from themselves or to build themselves up as a better person than they are in real life.

I have gotten a lot of friend requests from people I don’t know. I accepted these at first then realized that they were just adding as many people as possible. For some this is a joke, but for others they see it as an online status symbol for their popularity. One guy in particular that tried to add me has over 3000 friends. Who the hell really knows 3000 people? Upon further inspection of his profile I discovered that he called himself the “king of the book” and bragged about it for about three paragraphs on his profile. He even created a group for himself proclaiming himself as this king of the virtual domain. It really means you are cool when someone clicks a button to say they are your virtual friend. Cool man.

No comments: