Monday, October 15, 2007

"These shoes cost $300 @#$%ing Dollars... Let's get 'em!"



My favorite meme of all time has to be Liam Kyle Sullivan's gateway to fame "Shoes." This ridiculous techno "music video" caught like wild-fire on, you guessed it, Youtube sometime back and earned the actor enough fame that he now stars in VH1's new sitcom "I Hate My 30s," which I still have yet to see.
While I think it is pretty ridiculous that all these web-celebs have been and continue to sprout randomly in the "real" biz, it is also an interesting concept to think that any average Joe or Jane can produce something that catches within a niche and then spreads to the mainstream. In my opinion, it is sad when things like "A Shot at Love" or the popularity of the Smosh brothers happen (the talentless flourishing) but there are gems buried in the mud out there. Take for instance Saturday Night Live's Andy Samburg . This once small time writer/comedian has turned SNL's drypatch around with his "digital shorts", which gained huge popularity on the internet. He even won a Primetime Emmy for a mock R&B song called "Dick in a Box" that he made with Justin Timberlake.

No comments: