Monday, October 22, 2007

It is what it is, just like it was way back when they said that "it is what it is"

The readings here seem to reflect repeatedly that advertising on the internet is much like early advertising, in any form. All advertising and marketing is about deceit in one way or another. You are shown an unbalanced summary of a product by the seller (not manufacturer necessarily) so that you will be interested and buy.

You can spend more money at one store than another store for the exact same product simply based on how much the other store knows people will pay for it. It certainly scares me that I may have paid less on Amazon had I been more informed before I wanted a Frames album delivered to my home, but fool me once shame on me…you see where I’m going with this. Marketing to as many people as you can and making as much money as you can is a simplistic way of explaining large-scale business practices. They are just fooling a lot of intelligent people on the internet currently and it is making a lot of those people feel duped and unintelligent. As far as I can tell people don’t like feeling that way and won’t stay quiet if they find out that they are getting a raw deal.

No comments: