Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Clicking on Capitalism

It's pretty common to see custom-tailored advertising on the web. As a web developer, I have known about this technology for a while, but never really paid attention to it. I first 'noticed' it, probably last year when I was checking my g-mail account and realized that the ads in the sidebar were almost verbatim to the e-mail that I received. It's not really that big of a deal to me. I just don't look at ads online; let alone click on them. I think that if advertisers want to create custom advertising, that's great. They can reach far more of a demographic then if they used generic advertising.

As far as 'Dynamic pricing'' goes, I don't really have much of a problem with it. Even if the price change is in your favor, it probably wont be that much of a change to make it worth writing home about. Also, if you are at a site and if you know that they use dynamic pricing, then you shouldn't buy from that site if you don't agree with it. On the other hand, if you are at a site that uses dynamic pricing, and don't know it, then that's ignorance. Ignorance is bliss. All you need to do is shop around and compare prices from different sites. If one site is cheaper than another, buy from them instead. So don't knock dynamic pricing. It's capitalism, and if the companies can bank off it, that's fantastic.

No comments: