Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Whoa...eBay has everything...

One main article that really caught my attention this week was about Behavioral Targeting and price changes based on sales. This is in no way a new idea and has no relation to the Internet in general. Is this fair to the buyer? No. However, this does get the seller the highest selling price possible. In a way, I would compare this to eBay. If I go onto Amazon and start to sell a CD that I recorded for 5 dollars and it begins to take off would I raise the price?... Of course! But, if I add this CD to eBay and the demand rises the buyer sets their own purchase price for this item. This is the main difference between Amazon and other seller driven markets versus eBay and other comparative resources.

Another complaint against eBay is the idea of sniping. I can sympathize with those who have lost an auction in light of a successful "snipe". But, I have also been able to get that last "bullet" off with a clear "headshot". This clearly angered the losing bidder but I really needed that item. I suppose the connective point I am trying to make is that although there are some major criticisms against eBay, I believe it is successful when used in a correct and ethical manor. In a typically seller driven market, eBay gives the buyer a choice as to what price they wish to purchase that particular item. Yes, it may be relative to the other buyer's offer however that choice is still evident.