Monday, October 29, 2007

Reality will be sweet!

First off, I would like to apologize in advance for what I think is going to be a non-sequitur of massive proportion. I just couldn't help myself. After doing all the readings I've got two different visions of the future in mind. One is more likely than the other. But the idea that one might be "ridiculous" isn't going to stop me from telling you about it.

The article about the Al Gore Video "Al Gore's Penguin Army" shows that lobbyists from cooperations and the government can pose as amateurs in order to use our own viral media against us. I thought this was interesting considering the emphasis on "reality" in today's pop culture landscape. So follow me on this one.... What if in several years governments and businesses become so incorporated into our "real media" that the reality as we know it becomes scripted and predictable? Suddenly reality isn't real anymore and all the plot points become easily recognizable to the point we always know what's going to happen. The entertainment consumers will probably get really mad and start looking for ways to counter it. From then on everyday we'll have to wake up and foil some sort of terrorist plot. I'll have to engage in a slow motion battle with ninjas every time leave the room. Whenever I drive somewhere I'll have to evade the police in a back alley somewhere. After a while even that will get boring and TV will have to compensate by thinking outside the box and implementing reality TV 2.0. We'll see shows where real people do real things....like foil terrorist plots, run from the police and fight ninjas in slow motion. This new reality will be our new outlet and our lives will return to the same mundane stuff they used to be.


OR......

The Government will continue to use our fear against us so we consent to more and more surveillance, and more and more regulation and violation of our civil liberties....seriously don't be afraid and you will take their power away.

No comments: