Sunday, September 30, 2007

Common Sense

This is going to sound like a massive reverberation of what I've been saying all along. No worries though because that's exactly what it is. Firstly, I tend to shun most of the slippery slope arguments that say that social networking will lead to fear, immorality and increased victimization. Yes, there are going to be cases of this. Nothing is perfect and there will always be flaws and social problems attached to any new technology. However, I feel that most if not all of the societal ills articulated with social networking can be ameliorated with the implementation of pure common sense. It's funny to me how the illusion of safety and privacy can be substituted for the concepts themselves. Unfortunately this is not the case. There's nothing about me on my facebook page that I wouldn't care if the whole world knew. There was never any mental split for me that caused me to think that people wouldn't be able to get their hands on my information. As to why some people believe this: Excessive belief in the illusion of privacy. While I in no way shape or form consider myself in the league with Thomas Paine, I do believe that a healthy amount of common sense could help us all.

No comments: