Sunday, September 30, 2007

Not a creative title

Reading about social networking and talking about it in class has honestly made me look at it differently. I know everyone has their own opinion about it, and I do also. When we first got to college, facebook was the thing to get. Everyone had it and we all immediately found our hometown friends and started modifying our profile. Or maybe that was just me. A few years ago when all this social networking stuff was new, that was fine. But as all things change and grow over time, things like myspace and facebook have become popular and available to everyone. With this openness, doors for internet predators open up all over the place. Because of this, I think the main thing is to just be smart about your profile. Don't put anything on there unless you it's ok for a stranger or a possible employer or a nosy parent to find.
Now I'm not saying I think that social networks are all bad. I think if used properly they can actually be incredibly useful. In the business world, its not what you know, but who you know. I can see people searching for friends they have in common, or being able to look at who other people know to help landing a deal or job. I can also see business being able to use these social networks as a way of doing business by searching for potential buyers. There would probably have to be certain modifications for this to happen, but social networks aren't done growing and changing just yet. I don't know that this is where they are headed, but I think it is a legitimate possibility.

No comments: