Monday, September 24, 2007

I Hate D&D

Turkle's reading gave me a new interpretation of the use of such things as MUDs. I had thought of these interfaces as something along the lines of super-uber nerds that would not be able to deal with social situations. I sound mean for the fact that before reading this article, I had to pity those that engage in the use of MUDs. But after the readings, I did not realize that MUD use had a psychological impact on those that use it on a regular basis.86 Before I discovered this, the information provided wasn't encouraging to the therapy standpoint. When the hour statistics were compiled on a few of these subjects, I had thought of these people as addicts.119 What I now think of those that use these programs? I feel that they are people that have unknowingly created a whole new way of feeling better about themselves and help them with their personal problems.

No comments: