Monday, September 3, 2007

oRly?!

The "author in the authoring software" section caught my attention when I read Gillespie's article. All-in-all this section was about how technology and authoring tools change the way we look at authoring. I don't really think that technology and tools change the meaning of words. An author is an author no matter what tools are used or what works are being created. I liked the comparison about putting the audience in the place of the painter or photographer. Basically the viewers would feel as if they are there when the picture was being made. As a designer, I also try to think along those same lines. I imagine what other people would like to look at and what would be pleasing to the intended audience in general. At first I thought Gillespie got hung up on using the word "author" since he kept using it interchangeably. He also mentioned that the word author can be depicted with a writer sitting at a desk creating stories all the time. However, later on in the article, he states that the "act of authorship takes many forms." I would have to agree as well. An author can be anyone and everyone that in involved in the process of creating something. Just because there are advancements in technololgy, the meaning of being and author should not change.

No comments: