Monday, September 17, 2007

Its your own fault

I have personally never really thought much about my privacy on the internet. My first realization about how much information I put out on the internet was our first day in class when Megan found my myspace page where I (for fun) joined the group “I Sleep Naked”. Now seeing as I sleep with clothes on I was wondering what on my facebook or myspace account could be taken literally or the wrong way. I adjusted all of my privacy settings on facebook, but I could not find the privacy settings on myspace nor could I find how to delete groups. Facebook by far has better ways to control who sees your profile.

At this point it seems that my only option if I really want to completley control my privacy is to just delete my whole profile. One fell swoop and I don’t have to worry about anything. Sure I couldn’t see drunk pictures or my friends or see that my best friend is married to another guy (hilarious let me tell you), but then I wouldn’t have to worry about the wrong people finding out what I am interested in.

In regards to the article involving employers using google to find out more about their employess, this is a different case that I have heard discussed in classes before. In this case it was a reported article, not something she put out there for people to see on a website like facebook or myspace. I believe in this case an more detailed interview would be needed to determine if her past actions would be a problem. If the information would have been on a website myspace or facebook where she posted it on there I could see the possible employer dissmissing the person on account of that.

No comments: